Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins -- I'm back (or am I?)

It's been a few years since I've posted anything to this blog. There have been several other projects, law, tech and other types of books that have kept me occupied. Please forgive my absence. For the last few of you that are still subscribed to this blog, I'm hoping you are still interested in a few good books.



I just finished "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins, a debut thriller, and it is gripping. If you enjoyed the book, "Gone Girl", then add this to your list. While similar in format, it is a different story. I may be late in coming to this book but it is well worth the read.

Set in London, the story unfolds with Rachel, one of the narrators, obsessing over a husband and wife she sees from the train in their home. She peers into their home from the train every day and, in her mind, gets to know them. Rachel suffers from depression, alcoholism and a faulty memory. She's a confused, unreliable narrator. The wife in the home Rachel watches every day disappears. The story takes off. Rachel is pulled into the story. The police are involved and several other views come into play.

Hawkins masterfully shifts narrators and time periods but in a manner easy to follow and enjoy. The perspective shifts and the slow unveiling of the character's views and lapses in memory make the plot exciting and quick paced.

This is a fast read. If you need something for the beach or a weekend, it will keep you gripped.

No comments:

Post a Comment